The Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment takes your privacy seriously.
You can find out more about the Australian Privacy Principles by calling the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner on 1300 006 843 or through their website www.ovic.vic.gov.au.
Only authorised staff have access to your personal information: it remains confidential and is only used for appropriate purposes and in accordance with this policy.
Types of information
The types of personal information we collect, and store depends on the types of initiatives you support or enquire about. These can include:
- your name and contact information – address, email, phone number
- your date of birth and gender
- your donation and payment details
- where relevant, your employer details (if participating in workplace giving)
- a history of your transactions, correspondences and interactions in relation to fundraising.
Please note, some of these details are required to process your donation or provide you with information you request. You have the right to request us to remove your details from our database or change your communication preferences.
How we collect information
There are a number of ways we collect your information. These can include:
- directly from you when you provide information by phone, in person, via our website, or response forms
- from our own records of your transactions and interaction with the Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment
- from publicly available sources
- from a third party known to you who makes a donation and nominates you as the recipient of communication regarding that donation
- via email
- via social media messages or conversations.
The Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment may occasionally collect basic contact details (name, address, email address, phone number, gender, age) from the Women’s patients who provide their consent through patient admission forms.
The Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment does not deal directly with health or sensitive information. The Women’s has strict policies in place to protect the privacy of health information which meet the requirements of the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) so confidentiality of health information is assured.
Your personal information may be used:
- for the immediate reason for which you have given it. For example, to enable us to process your request including providing you with a donation receipt
- to maintain contact with you about our work, report back to you about the impact of your giving or let you know about other opportunities to give
- to confirm your identity when you make enquiries
- to address feedback and answer any queries you may have
- for any other purpose related to our work.
We do not disclose your personal information to other organisations except for our core business purposes and we don’t rent or sell your personal information.
From time to time we publicly acknowledge donors by name but will not name you if you request anonymity.
In order to communicate with you in relation to our activities, we may disclose your personal information to external organisations to help facilitate our correspondence and fundraising activities with you.
We value the security of your personal information and will take all reasonable steps to ensure any external organisations we use are bound to privacy and confidentiality obligations regarding your information and that it is only used for the specific purpose for which we disclose it. These organisations are bound to adhere to the privacy requirements under the relevant legislation and destroy or de-identify information after using it.
To whom we may disclose your information
In addition to the external organisations which help facilitate our correspondence we may also disclose your personal information to:
- an authorised legal representative nominated by you
- our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- government authorities if legally required to do so.
We will not disclose your personal information (including your donation history) to other hospital departments unless you give us your consent.
How long do we keep your information?
We will keep and use your information after you have donated or interacted in some way with the Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment. How long we hold your information will depend on the type of interaction you had with us and our legal and auditing requirements.
The Office of Philanthropy and Community Investment will take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you (whether electronic or hard copy) and keep this information accurate and up to date.
If at any time you want to know exactly what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to access your record by contacting us. To ensure the security of your information you will need to provide proof of identification before you can access your information.
Enquiries, feedback and complaints
If you believe the information we hold about you is incorrect, or if you have concerns about how we are handling your personal information (including your communication preferences), please contact us and we will seek to resolve those concerns.
You may contact us through the following channels:
Phone: 03 8345 2954
Mail: Locked Bag 300, Grattan St and Flemington Road, Parkville, VIC 3052
We will endeavour to provide a response to your enquiry within 10 working days.
Changes to this privacy statement
We may make changes to this policy from time to time without notice, any changes will be reflected on this page.